- Gather your equipment: syringe, absorbent pad (if available), paper or hand towel for clean up, and a waste basket nearby for disposal.
- Assist your patient to remove the necessary clothing.
- Place an absorbent pad or a towel under the individual to catch any extra fluid.
- Wash hands with soap and water thoroughly then dry them well.
- Gently insert the tip of the syringe into the balloon port of the catheter. The syringe should securely fit into the balloon port.
- Gently pull the syringe plunger back to deflate the balloon. Once the balloon has been deflated, you are ready to remove the catheter.
- Gently withdraw the catheter and place it in the wastebasket.
- Clean up any fluid or urine spill and ready for inserting a new Foley catheter.
- Dispose all used equipment and supplies appropriately.
Watch video below